Carbon Monoxide Detectors Protect You And Your Family

by Dave Logan


Not to start the day off with a grim statistic, but: carbon monoxide poisoning is the number one cause of accidental poisoning deaths in The United States. This may come as a surprise to many, but it makes sense if you think about how ubiquitous carbon monoxide is in our everyday lives. On the bright side, you can easily protect your family from dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in your home by researching and purchasing a carbon monoxide detectors. Most importantly, you need to understand which detector is right for your home and how it works. As a rule, carbon monoxide detectors should not be used as a replacement for proper maintenance and troubleshooting for any fuel-burning appliances. The detector is to serve as an auxiliary mode of detection and protection only. Ultimately, the performance quality of carbon monoxide detectors is all over the map. Some detectors perform very well, others completely fail to alarm residents even when tested at extremely high carbon monoxide levels. You need to do some good research and solicit the advice of a trusted home improvement professional before you make your decision. Remember, carbon monoxide is odorless and invisible, so detection (false or accurate) can prove to be a real challenge. When you do choose the right detector for your home, make sure you precisely follow the instructions that come with the unit. And of course if anyone in your family is experiencing symptoms of poisoning, you need to seek medical attention immediately.

For more helpful information on these and other home improvement projects, check in often with the TDL Blog. And don’t forget to visit to find a trusted home improvement professional in Denver and Boulder that will help you with your next project!